changes for consolidation

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 15 16:56:52 PST 2004

Reinhard wrote:

>Other changes just on filenames and directories apply for gtk and gtk2.
>I renamed the content-files, so that they are equal spelled that the
>entity-file.
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk+.xml  			   BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk.xml
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk+-desc.xml   BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk-desc.xml
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk+-exp.xml    BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk-exp.xml
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk+-inst.xml   BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk-inst.xml
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk+-intro.xml  BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk-intro.xml
>
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk+2.xml BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk2.xml
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk+-desc.xml   BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk-desc.xml
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk+-exp.xml    BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk-exp.xml
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk+-inst.xml   BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk-inst.xml
>mv BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk+-intro.xml  BLFS/BOOK/x/lib/gtk/gtk-intro.xml

The name of the package is gtk+, not gtk. Hence the naming structure.
Though it does not make any difference to me either way.

>As [B]LFS's rule is install a package by compiling the sources, I believe,
>that the dependencies should reflect the build-process. If some packages have
>different dependencies at runtime, this should be mentioned in the
>package-chapter.
>I also believe, that the dependencies should match the build-instructions
>provided (means, that if you can add a disable-pkg switch to configure, but
>this isn't used, pkg should be a required dependency).
>
>Following this theorem I added XFree as required dependency to imlib2 as well
>as to ffmpeg. libglade fails without atk and directfb fails with a broken (?)
>kernel-header.

The definitions the book uses is "Required Dependency: A dependency
without which the package will not build".

The instructions usually depend on the recommended and generally used
approach. For example freetype, fontconfig and zlib are optional
dependency for XFree86. But the instructions use instructions which is
common for most of the users i.e. use system installed versions of these
libraries. But this does not change the fact that these dependencies are
optional.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/