box - administration

Reinhard Mantey RMantey at gmx.de
Wed Mar 10 21:03:53 PST 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 22:20, Nico R. wrote:
> I don't really see the point in symlinking the init scripts
> into /usr/sbin. If anybody needs it, she can use
> "/etc/rc.d/init.d/scriptname status" directly. root or an ordinary user
> can start it. If the scripts happen not to have executable permissions,
> you can use bash to run them. Tab completion in bash helps you enter
> the script name quite fast.
> So what advantage do we have by creating those symlinks?

Yes, I know that.

It's not for enabling things that could not be done without it.

When you have to do lots of administrations between other things,
you're happy about any key you don't have to press.

Call me lazy - it's just a shortcut - and after all, it was just a suggestion.

Have a nice day,

Reinhard