Licenses and Distribution (WAS Re: XFree-4.4.0)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 12 10:44:42 PST 2004

Matthias Benkmann wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:15:20 +0100 Miguel Bazdresch
><lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org> wrote:
>

>>I'm not specifically against, but one reason I can see against upgrading
>>is that we might want to join the effort of making the XFree86 guys
>>understand that their license is not acceptable. Even if BLFS is not
>>affected by their license, the community as a whole is, so we could show
>>solidarity and refuse to accept XFree's terms.

>I personally do support the opposition against the licensing changes, but
>refusing to increase a version number in a book would be just silly.
>MSB

So what about just educating the user?  We could (tastefully) mention
that there was a license change with XFree86 4.4.0, that the same build
instructions can be used for both versions, and possibly give some links
to discussions about the issue (or at least to the two license
versions).  That way, we could increase a version number, show our
solidarity, and help to change XFree's terms while still sticking with
the LFS motto, "Your Distro.  Your Rules."

Mike Dean