Licenses and Distribution (WAS Re: XFree-4.4.0)

Matthias Benkmann msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Fri Mar 12 06:22:44 PST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:15:20 +0100 Miguel Bazdresch
<lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org> wrote:

> I'm not specifically against, but one reason I can see against upgrading
> is that we might want to join the effort of making the XFree86 guys
> understand that their license is not acceptable. Even if BLFS is not
> affected by their license, the community as a whole is, so we could show
> solidarity and refuse to accept XFree's terms.

Well, the point is that the BLFS book only contains build instructions and
as someone has reported the build instructions for the new version are the
same as for the old. So from the BLFS book's perspective "upgrading" to
the new version just means replacing the version number. I think we should
do this to state that the build instructions work with the new version.
Someone who wants to support the movement against the licensing change can
still build the old XFree86 using the same build instructions.

I personally do support the opposition against the licensing changes, but
refusing to increase a version number in a book would be just silly.
MSB

--
There are only 10 types of people in this world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.