Licenses and Distribution (WAS Re: XFree-4.4.0)

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Thu Mar 11 11:15:20 PST 2004

* Bill's LFS Login <lfsbill at nospam.dot> [2004-03-11 19:59]:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>
> > Igor Zivkovic wrote:

> > >Do we really need to vote on this one? No one has come up with a good
> > >argument against updating to the new version yet.
> > >
> > I thought some folks were against it when the thread started.
>
> IIRC, they were, based on license issues. If all accept that we need
> have no concern for that (from book POV), then those POVs would be
> discounted in the decision process.

I'm not specifically against, but one reason I can see against upgrading
is that we might want to join the effort of making the XFree86 guys
understand that their license is not acceptable. Even if BLFS is not
affected by their license, the community as a whole is, so we could show
solidarity and refuse to accept XFree's terms.

Other points: the changelog is underwhelming; and reportedly it compiles
with BLFS's current instructions, so we could just point that out for
folks that need/decide to upgrade.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/