box - administration

Reinhard bookreader at gmx.com
Wed Mar 10 11:02:27 PST 2004

Hello,

on my Suse-box I liked the way I could administrate applications.
Each application with a startscript in /etc/rc.d ... had a symlink
in /usr/sbin with the prefix "rc".

This way it was easy to check for example a running apache by calling
"rcapache status" from any directory being root or superuser.

What do you think about this facility?
/usr/sbin is a corner for system administration, so it should be as secure as
the scripts in /etc/rc.d ...

How about to add a script like this to the administration chapters of BLFS?

<start of the script>
#!/bin/sh
for name in /etc/rc.d/init.d/* ; do
   startscript=`basename $name`;
   case "$startscript" in
      checkfs|cleanfs|functions|halt|loadkeys|rc|reboot|sendsignals|setclock|
swap|template)
         echo "-- $name is a system function. No rc-links for system
functions."
         ;;
      *)
         echo "++ $name seems to be an application. Gonna create rc-link for
it."
         ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/$startscript /usr/sbin/rc$startscript;
         ;;
   esac
done
<end of the script>