Abiword and ImagMagick

Andrew Benton andy at benton987.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 12:18:23 PST 2004

Hello People,
    First thing, thankyou everyone who's contributed to the treasure
that is Scratch. I just wanted to write about a couple of packages that
have given me a little trouble. Firstly, Abiword. Nice word processor,
however, the html help documentation is not installed for some reason.
Issuing the command
cp -rf ../abiword-docs/help /usr/share/AbiSuite-2.0/Abiword
after make install fixes that. Also, printing is important in a word
processor. If you have Gnome installed, configuring Abiword with
--enable-gnome makes printing a two click operation, otherwise I would
have to delete the -P(null) from the end of the lpr -P(null) print
command every time.
   ImageMagick - I had some trouble compiling this. However, out there
in Googleland I found the answer, which was to move zconf.h and zlib.h
out of /usr/X11R6/include while I was compiling ImageMagick. It might be
an idea to put this in the book or the FAQ for others who may have
similar trouble.
   One thing that stands out as missing from the book is a file sharing
application. My favourite is Gtk-Gnutella. I would very much like to see
it included in the book. I would be happy to do the work typing up the
text but it would need others to check it over and arrange it in the
same style as the book.
    Keep up the good work everyone. I've learnt so much from doing the
whole Scratch thing. I can't say thankyou enough. Andy