XFree-4.4.0 */me hide for rocks and debree*

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 1 18:25:05 PST 2004

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:11:14 +0100, Ronald Hummelink wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 15:50, remybosch at zonnet.nl wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> How about an upgrade?
>>
>> Despite the refusal of other distro's, we "could" put a build for XFree-4.4 in
>> the book. I didn't see anything here that would stand in the way...
>>

> Legally there is for what I understand nothing against it.
>
> However, There is a very strong reason no distro will ship 4.4, so
> strong not even the Bsd's are going to put it in their ports.
>
> * If users decide to distribute binaries made based on (b)lfs with 4.4
> they possibly violate licenses (eg the various bootcds)
> * If problems are found, upstream support will be a brick wall to bump
> into since nothing upstream will have 4.4.
> * Normally LFS objects to looking at others when taking course of
> action, hoever in this case, i believe LFS should not be the ugly
> duckling and ignore the rest of the Free Software world.
> * The reasons for upgrading to 4.4 from the changelog are extremely
> minimal. (Explain to me why the New for 4.4 features page is for ~60%
> xterm, a seperate project). There seems to have been very very little
> development over the last year. The gain in upgrading does in my humble
> opinion not outweigh the other arguments.
>
> Do we have mirrors providing BLFS sources, this is a hazy (legal) area
> according to senior gentoo people?

NO.

> Probably a note why the book does not use the latest release is in place
> however.

and No.

>> Am I dead for asking ?
>
> No, and i doubt we are going to see a unaniminous stance on this :-)
> Lets keep it cicilised though :)
>
> Ronald
>>

>> Greetings,
>>
>> R. Bosch

I have given this some thought.  A lot more than I usually give these
political beasts. If an individual is allowed to download, compile and
use the resulting binary for personal use, it is eligible for inclusion in
the book.  If individuals want to use BLFS for other than personal use,
they need to learn about licenses.

That said, it is still up to the judgment of the contributor or an
assisting editor to determine the inclusion/exclusion on technical merit
and I am sure they would like feedback from the community.

Larry