XFree-4.4.0 */me hide for rocks and debree*

Ronald Hummelink maillist at hummelink.xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 1 07:11:14 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 15:50, remybosch at zonnet.nl wrote:
> hi,
>
> How about an upgrade?
>
> Despite the refusal of other distro's, we "could" put a build for XFree-4.4 in
> the book. I didn't see anything here that would stand in the way...

Legally there is for what I understand nothing against it.

However, There is a very strong reason no distro will ship 4.4, so
strong not even the Bsd's are going to put it in their ports.

* If users decide to distribute binaries made based on (b)lfs with 4.4
they possibly violate licenses (eg the various bootcds)
* If problems are found, upstream support will be a brick wall to bump
into since nothing upstream will have 4.4.
* Normally LFS objects to looking at others when taking course of
action, hoever in this case, i believe LFS should not be the ugly
duckling and ignore the rest of the Free Software world.
* The reasons for upgrading to 4.4 from the changelog are extremely
minimal. (Explain to me why the New for 4.4 features page is for ~60%
xterm, a seperate project). There seems to have been very very little
development over the last year. The gain in upgrading does in my humble
opinion not outweigh the other arguments.

Do we have mirrors providing BLFS sources, this is a hazy (legal) area
according to senior gentoo people?

Probably a note why the book does not use the latest release is in place
however.

> Am I dead for asking ?

No, and i doubt we are going to see a unaniminous stance on this :-)
Lets keep it cicilised though :)

Ronald

> Greetings,
>
> R. Bosch
>
> --
> Zon Gratis ADSL. De voordelen van gratis internet met de snelheid van
> ADSL. Zonder abonnementskosten en zonder vast contract. Je betaalt
> alleen voor de tijd online. Nu zonder aansluitkosten en met gratis
> modem. Bestel snel op zonnet.nl.
waiting down the mountain...