net-tools

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue Jun 29 11:32:07 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Bruce et al,
>
> Do you mind if you take net-tools off of LFS' hands?  There's been a
> discussion at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/lfs-dev/2004-June/046960.html
> to move LFS over to iproute2.  However net-tools offer
> some...err...tools... that are useful and complement iproute2's
> offerings.  Would BLFS have a problem in nicking net-tools off us, as we
> obviously don't want it to end up in the equivalent of /dev/null.

We need to take a look at what net-tools offers beyond iproute2.  One
thing to consider is whether or not iproute2 offers ifconfig and
netstat.  I believe these programs are required for either LSB or POSIX
compliance (or both).  You may want to check this out and use it as a
factor in deciding about replacing net-tools.

    -- Bruce