FAM-2.7.0 [CVS]

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Mon Jun 21 23:36:28 PDT 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Richard A Downing FBCS wrote:
>
>> As unpacked 'configure' is not write-permit.  Thus autoreconf fails.
>> To correct this the instruction:
>>   chmod +w configure
>> should be added.
>

> I would need to do that myself as I don't build any packages
> as root. I su to root when necessary to install and make
> necessary configuration changes.
>
> However, the BLFS book does not differentiate which commands
> should be run by root and which by an ordinary user. The
> BLFS instructions are based on one of two things:
>
> 1) Run all the commands as root, or
> 2) Expect the builder to know when to be root
>
> The autoreconf command, executed by root, will update the
> configure script.
>
> I would like to see the instruction include the chmod, but
> as is, I'm not sure that is the status quo.

Randy,

1) Only suicidal people build everything as root on a working system
(BLFS editors might legitimately do it on test rigs).

2) As I've been building BLFS since it grew out of the hints (I even
wrote a couple of bits), I know all this, but many new readers don't.

So:  The chmod is needed for all sensible people.

It's always amazed me that the BLFS instructions assume root-running,
since no-one, who was competant to use them, would ever do it like that.

But you can't argue with a (B)LFS editor, they are right by definition!

:-) :-)

--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
http://www.109bean.org.uk/