SCM System Update

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 9 16:02:16 PDT 2004

Folks,

CVS was upgraded to 1.11.17 today to fix a couple of security
vulnerabilities.  Editors and anonymous users shouldn't see any changes,
but if things do start mysteriously breaking, then give me a shout and
I'll do my best to fix it a.s.a.p.

Additionally, subversion (svn) has been installed, with a new web
interface alongside it, which can be viewed at
http://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/.

The plan is to migrate LFS sources over to svn within the next 2 weeks.
Could all LFS editors please ensure that they have an svn-1.0.4 client
(available from http://subversion.tigris.org/) installed by Saturday
19th June.

For those of you already with an svn client, you can perform an
anonymous checkout of the sources using the following command:

`svn co http://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/repos/svntest/trunk/BOOK LFS`

Note that if you make any changes to the files checked out anonymously
and try to commit them (using `svn commit`) then you'll get a 403
Forbidden error from the server!

In order to commit changes you need to have SSH access, as is the
current situation using CVS.  For those of you with such access (i.e.
book editors, etc.) you can try:

`svn co svn+ssh://linuxfromscratch.org/svntest/trunk/BOOK LFS`

This may or may not work right away - you need to be a member of the
correct group(s) on belgarath.  Send an email to myself or Jeremy and
we'll set you up a.s.a.p.  There's still a bit of configuration to do
with it, but hopefully this will be sorted within the next week or so.

To BLFS, ALFS, website & patches maintainers:  If you want to migrate to
subversion, give myself and/or Jeremy a shout and we'll help transfer
your CVS repositories over if you want us to.  Additionally I'd
appreciate it if you could let me know if you are *not* planning on
migrating your project away from CVS, so as server-admins are aware of
the need to maintain both the CVS and svn systems.

Best regards,

Matt.