BLFS "kdebase"

Randy McMurchy LFS-User at mcmurchy.com
Thu Jun 3 20:18:35 PDT 2004

On Thu, June 03, 2004 at 22:08 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
> >1. "kdebase is the second mandatory package (besides kdelibs)
> >for the K Desktop Environment"
> >
> >Why include "(besides kdelibs)". Why not just "kdebase is
> >another mandatory package for the K Desktop Environment"?
> >
> I'm going to leave this as is.  I feel it provides additional
> information if someone is browing the book in  anon-linear manner (which
> is normal).

You're right. I suppose what made me even mention this is
because the first time I installed KDE, and then again while
reviewing the text, I came across this thought:

When I see "(besides kdelibs)", I see "besides" used as
"other than". Perhaps it's just me, and the way I interpret
"besides". So, I remember going back and looking to see what
the hell I missed because the instructions say this is the
second package (other than kdelibs) to install, yet it is
the *only* one other than kdelibs. (I don't count aRts, as
it is a pre-requisite for kedlibs.

Does anyone else read it this way?

It doesn't matter, it's just what went through my head when
I installed it the first time, and then again while going
through the text.

--
Randy