Time to go to LFS CVS ??
markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 1 10:00:49 PST 2003
On Wed, 01, Jan, 2003 at 06:46:43AM -0700, Gerard Beekmans spoke thus..
> I took it'd be a great idea. If the BLFS book should have the same version
> number at all times I'm not sure. It might work, but BLFS-5.0 would mean a
> significal change even though there might only be minor changes since the
> last version (pretending there was a BLFS-4.0).
> But on the other hand, if the versions are the same, the BLFS book gets more
> of an extension of the LFS book feel. Same version, same release dates, etc.
> Concretely, can you guys have BLFS-5.0 ready (or BLFS-4.1, not sure what I'll
> name the LFS book, probably has to be 5.0 because it's a major Glibc change
> although we just had a major version increase one version ago...at least
> we'll be catching up to Redhat, Mandrake et all a bit sooner this way) by the
> end of January? That's when I'm aiming for the next LFS book to be finished
> (maybe first week of February).
Hmm.. I was going to laugh at that suggestion but I've just been
reviewing the book and I think it *might* be possible. The main things
we're waiting on at the moment are XFree86-4.3.0 and KDE-3.1; I don't
know the release dates: maybe Bruce can enlighten us.
Other than that, the jobs are:
* The whole book needs to be spellchecked and edited for style
* The book needs to be tested, tested and tested
* Lots of Chapter Introductions need to be written (not a major problem)
* Asking for Help and FAQ needs writing
* Going beyond BLFS needs writing
* The man-pages thing needs to be converted from the hint (which is my job)
* Nessus and Tripwrire need to either be written or pulled from the book
* Configuring syslog needs to be written/pulled
* I think we should pull recompiling vim post-x from the book (it's the
same as the LFS vim instructions and it's mentioned there)
* pull Chapter 15 (which I'm thinking of doing anyways as there has been
*no* interest in writing it AFAIR)
* Courier needs to be written /pulled
* db-3.* need moving into here from the Gnome section (I'll do this
immediately after sending this email)
* Apache needs tidying up + PHP need to be written
* Will change a lot when XFree86-4.3.0 is out
* Will change a lot when KDE-3.1 is out
* Kdevelop and KDM need doing (I think BD is waiting for KDE-3.1)
* Should probably be split into Gnome-1.4 and Gnome-2.0 chapters to make
it cleaner - Larry did I ask your permission to do this already? If
you reply OK I'll deal with this ASAP
* Need to update alsa to rc5 (I think)
* Need to add sane & xsane or pull the chapter
* I'm going to write instructions for gv (It can be a pain to install)
* We should probably add a link to CTAN - does TeTeX include LaTeX?
It's doable. It'll be in the current Docbook format without the layout
changes but I can live with that for a first release.
The only question I have is how would we do BLFS releases between LFS
ones: 4.1.0, 4.1.1, 4.1.2?
Mark Hymers <markh at linuxfromscratch dot org>
"I'm so gorgeous, there's a six month waiting list for birds to suddenly
appear, every time I am near!"
Cat, Red Dwarf Series VIII - Back in the Red
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
and put 'unsubscribe blfs-dev' in the subject header of the message
More information about the blfs-dev