Version Freeze

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 2 20:14:34 PST 2003

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:48:07 -0500, Donald Smith wrote:

> Just my take on things, I could be wrong but I thought the BLFS book was
> about choices and alternatives. Shouldn't some of these be more like
> "you can use either gnat or gcc-ada. We recomend gcc-ada, but if you
> reallly want gnat here's how you do it." and "whois is included in
> inetutils. If you are installing inetutils, you don't need this package.
> If you only want whois and no other internet utility (can't figure out
> why but..), you can install this package instead of whois from inetutils."
>
> Don

Concerning gnat, I don't see it as a good choice under BLFS criteria since
it is a binary installation and it will overwrite gcc if installed in
/usr.  Using gnat's gcc to compile all the packages to prove it works (or
doesn't) for BLFS is a lot of work that gives little benefit. OTOH, even
if its incorporated, the instructions are clear enough to be adapted by
the reader to use gnat instead of gcc for their entire compiler needs.

Your points are valid for inetutils and that will help me decide which way
to go.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org