Version Freeze

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 2 18:59:26 PST 2003

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 00:04:36 +0000, Tushar Teredesai wrote:

>     * gnat can be moved to be a part of gcc since it is only used to
>       bootstrap gcc-ada. this is similar to what we do with j2sdk.

You are welcome to implement this if you have time.

>     * similarly db-3.1.x can be moved to be a part of evolution since it
>       is only needed when compiling evolution.

I almost misunderstood this one. I'll look at it, but it is probably a go.

>     * db-3.3.x should not probably be installed in /usr. It will
>       overwrite db-4.x headers and binaries. /opt/db-3 might me a good
>       location. Does any package need db-3.3?

Good question, memory says it was only utilized for gnome-1.4, which would
be GConf. The only problem is that I don't trust my memory. I'll check it
out.

>     * whois could be removed since it is already part of inetutils.

good.

>     * when building inetutils, the programs that are already installed
>       in a base LFS should not be overwritten. inetutils has
>       --disable-xxx option to disable virtually everything.

I still feel we need inetutils config file for BLFS that correctly sets
FAM, portmap and tcp wrappers. Anyone else agree/disagree.

> I am also comparing my build scripts with the commands in the book, will
> post if I have any suggestions regarding instructions for specific packages.
>
> --
> Tushar Teredesai
>    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/
>    http://www.geocities.com/tushar/