r2617 - in trunk/BOOK: . general/genlib introduction/welcome

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Mon Aug 16 06:24:10 PDT 2004

randy at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>  <!-- To be reviewed when hotplug enters the LFS book -->
Let's do this now.

>  <para>libusb requires the usbfs kernel filesystem to be mounted on
>  <filename class="directory">/proc/bus/usb</filename>. Applications
>  require the files in this directory to be accessible to the user,
>  sometimes for both reading and writing.</para>

Not dure if this text should be right here, but can't suggest anything
better.
> -
> +
>  usb group:</para>
> -
> +

This is already done in LFS, with different gid (14). This command must
be removed or some words like "if it doesn't exist on your system yet"
must be added.

> +
> +<para>Mount usbfs at system boot-up using a special init script, as putting an
> +extra line into <filename>/etc/fstab</filename> does not work for those who
> +compiled "USB device filesystem" as a kernel module. Install the
> +<filename>/etc/rc.d/init.d/usb</filename> init script included in the
> +<xref linkend="intro-important-bootscripts"/> package:</para>
> +

We don't support compilation of "USB device filesystem" as a kernel
module, and this is reflected in the LFS book. We have the relevant line
in /etc/fstab in the LFS book, so we don't need the bootscript either.

So we have to either remove the paragraph, or add words like "add a line
in /etc/fstab if this is not already done"

--
Alexander E. Patrakov