r3021 - jhalfs/branches/experimental
manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Aug 20 03:49:46 PDT 2006
Date: 2006-08-20 04:49:45 -0600 (Sun, 20 Aug 2006)
New Revision: 3021
Install menu/ and README.BLFS.
--- jhalfs/branches/experimental/README.BLFS 2006-08-19 14:45:07 UTC (rev 3020)
+++ jhalfs/branches/experimental/README.BLFS 2006-08-20 10:49:45 UTC (rev 3021)
@@ -23,8 +23,9 @@
done in several steps:
- Run "make" to launch the menuconfig interface. Select the BLFS book
- and it version. Then set the installation directory (default
+ Run "make" to launch the jhalfs menuconfig interface. Select the BLFS
+ book and it version. Then set the installation directory (default
$HOME/blfs_root) and the BLFS sources directory (default blfs-xml).
All required files will be placed in the installation directory and
@@ -32,26 +33,40 @@
- lib/* functions, xsl, and auto-generates dependencies tree files
+ blfs-xml/* SVN tree of the selected BLFS book version
+ lib/* functions libraries, xsl stylesheets, and auto-generated
+ meta-packages dependencies tree files
+ menu/* lxdialog and menuconfig source code
README.BLFS this file
TODO developers notes
- packages auto-generated file with packages info
- alternatives.conf configuration files for alternative packages
- envars.conf envars needed when running the build scripts
- update_book.sh update the XML book sources and regenerate packages file
- and GNOME and KDE dependencies tree
- blfs-parser.sh generates linear BLFS books and build scripts
- gen-makefile.sh generates Makefile
- progress_bar.sh the Makefile progress bar
+ update_book.sh update the XML book sources and regenerates packages
+ database and meta-packages dependencies tree
+ gen_config.sh regenerates Config.in
+ blfs-parser.sh solve dependencies and generates linear BLFS books
+ and build scripts
+ gen-makefile.sh generates target Makefile
+ progress_bar.sh the target Makefile progress bar
+ Makefile (not created yet) run gen_config.sh to update Config.in,
+ then launch the menuconfig interface, and lastly run
+ blfs-parser.sh based on configuration settings
+ Config.in menuconfig interface imput file
+ packages auto-generated packages database
+ alternatives.conf (to be removed) configuration file for alternative packages
+ envars.conf envars needed when running the target build scripts
From now on, all the work must be done from inside the installation
2.2 UPDATING BOOK SOURCES::
- If using the SVN book version, from time to time you may want to update
- the XML sources. To do that run "./update_book.sh"
- 2.3 PARSING THE BOOK::
+ If using the development book version, and if you want to update already
+ installed packages to the new version found in that book, you need to update
+ the XML sources and packages database.
+ To do that run "./update_book.sh"
+ 2.3 CONFIGURING AND PARSING THE BOOK:: (to be rewritten when ready menuconfig)
Next step is to create a book and build scripts in dependencies build order
for a target package. A target package can be any of the ones listed in the
packages file. That is done using the blfs-parser.sh script, but we are trying
@@ -75,14 +90,24 @@
dependencies in build order and a "scripts" directory with build scripts
that uses sudo for commands that need root privileges.
- There is also two other directories that contains files generated while
- resolving dependencies trees.
+ There is also two other directories, dependencies and xincludes, that
+ contains files generated while resolving dependencies trees.
- Now is the time to review the generated book and scripts, making in the
- scripts any changes you want to fit your needs. Scripts for additional
- packages (i.e., for non-BLFS packages) can be inserted in an easy way.
+ 2.4 EDITING BUILD SCRIPTS
- 2.4 CREATING THE MAKEFILE
+ Now is the time to review the generated book and scripts, making in the
+ scripts any changes required to fix generation bugs or to fit your needs.
+ Scripts for additional packages (i.e., for non-BLFS packages) can be
+ inserted in an easy way due how the scripts are named. For example, if you
+ want to install the external dependency "bar" before "foo" package and the
+ "foo" script is named "064-z-foo", you need to create a "064-y-bar" build
+ Note that the packages tracking system isn't a packages manegament tool
+ and know nothing about packages not in the BLFS book.
+ 2.5 CREATING THE MAKEFILE
When the build scripts are ready to be run, the Makefile can be
created. Be sure that you cd into the "package" directory and run
@@ -91,16 +116,17 @@
Review the Makefile and if all look sane, start the build.
-(Text is needed for the installed packages tracking system and like)
+(Text is needed about meta-packages, the installed packages tracking system
3. GENERATED BUILD SCRIPTS ISSUES::
In this section known issues with the generated build scripts are
- discussed. They are due build procedures and BLFS layout particularities
- than we can't handle. In some cases editing the build scripts is mandatory.
+ discussed. They are due build procedures and/or BLFS layout particularities
+ than we can't handle. In several cases editing the build scripts is mandatory.
You may need also to insert some build script created by you to resolve
- unhandled dependencies and/or to remove some script and install the
- affected package by hand.
+ unhandled dependencies and/or to remove some script installing the affected
+ package by hand.
3.1 BLFS BOOTSCRIPTS
--- jhalfs/branches/experimental/blfs 2006-08-19 14:45:07 UTC (rev 3020)
+++ jhalfs/branches/experimental/blfs 2006-08-20 10:49:45 UTC (rev 3021)
@@ -111,7 +111,9 @@
[[ ! -d $BLFS_ROOT ]] && mkdir -p $BLFS_ROOT
cp -r BLFS/* $BLFS_ROOT
+cp -r menu $BLFS_ROOT
cp $COMMON_DIR/progress_bar.sh $BLFS_ROOT
+cp README.BLFS $BLFS_ROOT
# Start the work
More information about the alfs-log