[alfs-discuss] Problem downloading sources for LFS 8.0 book

Don Cross cosinekitty at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 09:59:00 PDT 2018

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 10:20 PM, DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On June 10, 2018 9:10:00 PM CDT, Don Cross <cosinekitty at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hello. I have manually completed two LFS builds before now (on amd64
> >and on
> >Raspberry Pi, based on http://intestinate.com/pilfs/), just so you know
> >I'm
> >not a total noob!  :)
> >
> >I'm trying ALFS for the first time. I'm trying to build LFS (System V)
> >8.0
> >because that is the highest version that is described as being
> >compatible
> >with jhalfs-2.4, according to
> >http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/alfs/wiki/SupportedBooks
> >
> >The main problem is jhalfs can't download this file because it doesn't
> >exist:
> >http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/8.0/lfs-boots
> cripts-20150222.tar.bz2
> >
> >I think this URL is coming from
> >http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/8.0/wget-list
> >which I'm guessing ends up being used to generate my local file
> >/mnt/build_dir/sources/urls.lst (?)
> >
> >When I use my browser to look at the directory
> >http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/8.0
> >... I see lfs-bootscripts-20170626.tar.bz2 instead. But when I look in
> >wget-list in that same directory, it specifies downloading
> >http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/downloads/8.0/lfs-boots
> cripts-20150222.tar.bz2.
> >So I'm thinking that is a bug, but I'm not sure how to correct this
> >problem
> >in the jhalfs-2.4 build process.
> >
> >What should I do? Is there some way to hack the build process to use
> >the
> >20170626 version of the file, or do I need to find the 20150222 version
> >from somewhere else?
> >
> >Incidentally, the following URL is giving me a 500 Internal Server
> >Error.
> >(Maybe a temporary outage?)
> >http://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/download/mpc-1.0.3.tar.gz
> >
> >I found the following instead, and it hashes to the same md5 checksum:
> >https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/mpc/mpc-1.0.3.tar.gz
> >
> >I just threw that in my $SRC_ARCHIVE, so I'm not worried about this one
> >so
> >much. Just thought the maintainers would want to know.
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any help.  LFS is an awesome educational
> >resource!
> >- Don
>
> Best to use SVN version of jhalfs and build 8.2 (or SVN book if you do
> long term maintenance anyway rather than rebuild).
>
> --DJ
>

> --

Thanks DJ. I tried your first suggestion: SVN current trunk version of
jhalfs and 8.2 version of the book. The build got a lot further this time,
though I am hitting another problem in the step 117-Python-3.6.4.  The last
few lines of /mnt/build_dir/jhalfs/logs/117-Python-3.6.4 are:

if test "xupgrade" != "xno"  ; then \
        case upgrade in \
                upgrade) ensurepip="--upgrade" ;; \
                install|*) ensurepip="" ;; \
        esac; \
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sources/Python-3.6.4 ./python -E -m ensurepip \
                $ensurepip --root=/ ; \
fi
/bin/sh: line 7: 30618 Illegal instruction
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sources/Python-3.6.4
./python -E -m ensurepip $ensurepip --root=/
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1099: install] Error 132
make[1]: Leaving directory '/sources/Python-3.6.4'

My interpretation of the error is that there is something wrong with the
built python executable, causing a crash due to an "Illegal instruction"
exception.  I put the complete log file and my build configuration file in:

http://cosinekitty.com/jhalfs/

My host system is Debian Stretch 9.4.0 running on amd64:

don at monolith:/mnt/build_dir$ uname -a
Linux monolith 4.9.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.88-1+deb9u1 (2018-05-07)
x86_64 GNU/Linux

When I look at the above log, it really looks like there was no problem
building the python executable, and I'm not attempting to cross-compile, so
I don't understand why there is an illegal instruction being executed. Any
help would be most appreciated.  Also please let me know if there is more
diagnostic info I can provide.

Thanks in advance...
- Don