[alfs-discuss] Default setting for LC_ALL in envars.conf should be changed

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Mon Oct 30 03:01:16 PDT 2017

Hi,

Just a heads up I am getting a lot of warnings and also an error (in new
glib) for packages using meson:
---------------------------
Warning: You are using 'ANSI_X3.4-1968' which is not a
Unicode-compatible locale.
You might see errors if you use UTF-8 strings as filenames, as strings,
or as file contents.
Please switch to a UTF-8 locale for your platform.
---------------------------
The reason is that LC_ALL is set to "C" in envars.conf (the default).
This takes precedence to LANG, which is likely to be set to an UTF-8
locale when sourcing /etc/profile later. I am not sure what to do:
- remove LC_ALL setting, and expect LANG setting from
/etc/profile.d/i18n.sh is UTF-8 and does not break the builds
- set LC_ALL to en_US.UTF-8
- create a C.UTF-8 locale (as at least debian does), and use that.

Right now, I have just commented out the LC_ALL setting in envars.conf,
and let the system use fr_FR.UTF-8 from i18n.sh. But I expect any
package expecting the locale to be English to be broken...

Pierre