[alfs-discuss] Dumb but important qn

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Mon Oct 16 12:44:38 PDT 2017

On 15/10/2017 23:08, Teresa Williams wrote:
>> Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 11:05 PM
>> From: "Bruce Dubbs" <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com>
>> To: "ALFS Discussion and Development List" <alfs-discuss at lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
>> Subject: Re: [alfs-discuss] Dumb but important qn
>>
>> Teresa Williams wrote:
>>> Every time I use jhalfs I battle the starting setup.
>>> I create a partition, and make a file system in it,
>>> Then I mount it at $LFS, usually /mnt/lfs, and check out jhalfs.
>>> But what permissions and ownership should $LFS have? Can't spot the answer
>>> in the READMEs.
>> Typically you are going to format and mount the $LFS partition as root.
>> You should downlad and install jhalfs as your normal user but still create
>> the lfs user as in Chapter 4.
>>
>> The issue you mention occurs when running jhalfs.  The mounted partition
>> needs to allow writing as the user running jhalfs.  You can do that by
>> either changing the ownership of the mounted lfs partition  to the user
>> running jhalfs or changing permissions to 777.
>>
>> In either case, after booting into your newly built lfs system, change /
>> ownership/permissions to root.root rwxr-xr-x.  You probably also need to
>> have sudo set up to allow your user to enter root without a password.
>>
>> The other alternative is to run jhalfs as root, but I do not do that.
>>
>>     -- Bruce
>
> Many thanks Bruce - nice to have this cleared up.

I haven't answered immediately, because actually, since we now ask the
user to be
able to run sudo, there is no reason for demanding that $LFS be owned or be
writable by the user. It'd be safer if it were owned by root from the
beginning.
Right now, some parts of the scripts rely on the user's having write
access to $LFS,
because sudo is not used. They should be changed to use sudo. Making a
ticket so
that I do not forget...

Pierre