[alfs-discuss] Dumb but important qn

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 03:05:50 PDT 2017

Teresa Williams wrote:
> Every time I use jhalfs I battle the starting setup.
> I create a partition, and make a file system in it,
> Then I mount it at $LFS, usually /mnt/lfs, and check out jhalfs.
> But what permissions and ownership should $LFS have? Can't spot the answer
> in the READMEs.

Typically you are going to format and mount the $LFS partition as root.
You should downlad and install jhalfs as your normal user but still create
the lfs user as in Chapter 4.

The issue you mention occurs when running jhalfs.  The mounted partition
needs to allow writing as the user running jhalfs.  You can do that by
either changing the ownership of the mounted lfs partition  to the user
running jhalfs or changing permissions to 777.

In either case, after booting into your newly built lfs system, change /
ownership/permissions to root.root rwxr-xr-x.  You probably also need to
have sudo set up to allow your user to enter root without a password.

The other alternative is to run jhalfs as root, but I do not do that.

   -- Bruce