[Patch: RFC] Log new files

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Apr 28 09:11:50 PDT 2007

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 07:32:40PM +0100, Matthew Burgess wrote:
>> On Friday 27 April 2007 04:44, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
>>
>>> Would be far easier than searching the entire
>>> tree for files with a certain timestamp.
>> Well, it's not particularly onerous as we're in chroot at that point with very
>> few files on it, relatively speaking.  The file logging takes very little
>> time at all.
>
> Hrm. Well, unless I'm misunderstanding what happens, with each new
> package installed, there's that many more files to search. It may not
> in reality add that much more time to the build, but it still seems an
> awkward way to get what you're after.
>
> --
> JH

Forgive the intrusion but would it be worth looking at how beagle and
tracker achieve their fast, real time indexing?

I have been reading and playing around with them for a while and they
way they manage to handle what they do in real-time is quite amazing
really...

Beagle: http://beagle-project.org/Main_Page
Tracker: http://www.gnome.org/projects/tracker/

Sorry for the noise if this is completely off!

Alan