[Patch: RFC] Log new files

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 23:07:55 PDT 2007

On 4/26/07, Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 03:41:46PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > One of these days we should start doing the role="install" markup in
> > the book like we talked about so long ago. That would prevent things
> > like searching for a command named "make install", but not "make
> > install-libs".
>
> If we're going to go this far, we may as well make use of a DESTDIR
> style install approach. Would be far easier than searching the entire
> tree for files with a certain timestamp.

Although I love DESTDIR, I think it's actually a separate issue here.
Just marking the source in a particular way doesn't force any action
on anybody. Using a DESTDIR is by far the best way to find and handle
installed files from a package, but using it brings along a lot of
other issues that would require many changes to the book. We can still
open up a lot of possibilities just by tagging the XML without any
effect on the book or 95% of users.

--
Dan