testing-CD profile

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 05:57:23 PDT 2004

Daniel Baumann wrote on 30 September 2004 13:18
> Hi,
>
> I did yesterday a build of the testing-CD profile. Some things are still
> unclear to me:
>
> . wouldn't it be nice to have a profile for a cdrom, which creates the
> cdrom fully automatic, resulting in a iso-image?

That is not the purpose of the profile. If you want to produce iso images
from ALFS profiles then

see
	http://vassilidzuba.nerim.net/cdeasy-profile.html

for an older version of a bootcd profile and the hint at

	 http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/boot-cd_easy.txt

> . why not ship a 'default-all-inclusive'-kernel with it (experienced
> users and those who need/want to, can change it anyways. I suggest to
> use config/linux-config and a note, that one can replace this file if
> needed)?

Because all newly build LFS systems should have their kernel configured
by hand. The book does it and the README for the profile explains how to
do it.

The boot cd is there for people to have a nice environment to build their
new LFS system either by hand from the book or by using the nALFS profile.
nALFS and the profile on the bootcd aren't a substitute for actually knowing

_what_ you are doing and if configuring a kernel by hand is beyond the
user then I would question why they are using the profile in the first
place.

> . why not use the ftp.linuxfromscratch.org servers as download locations
>   (I guess, the download of the packages would be not that much as long
> as the most people don't rebuild the cd but rather use it to build lfs
> from it)?

Bandwidth constraints.

> Maybe, some things are already discussed somewhere else, I appologize
> for not having read all of the other boot-cd threads so carefully.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

	--	Jamie