configure script suggestions

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 28 09:14:59 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Some options like --enable-libxml2-SAX and whatever other options don't
> show a default in the --help output, so I don't know if I'm supposed to
> pass them if I want them or if I can omit them and get the same results.
>
> Maybe this can be added to --help's output?

Well, as best I can tell, the "standard" for autoconf-using packages is
that the name of the option itself tells you the default:

if the option is called --enable-FOO, then the default is "no FOO"
if the option is called --disable-FOO, then the default is "yes FOO"
if the option is called --with-BAR, then the default is "without BAR"
if the option is called --without-BAR, then the default is "with BAR"

However, now that I look more closely I see that the stuff coming the
libtool macros (--enable-shared for example) is not done that way, so
I'll change the nALFS-specific options to conform to that model.