Mucking around with MySQL ALFS... ish.

Paul Campbell paul at multimedia-campbell.com
Mon Oct 27 15:19:50 PST 2003

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 08:56, Paul Campbell wrote:
>> The profile for a simple ./configure && make && make install is quite
>> frankly annoyingly verbose to create and maintain.
>
> I agree with that. Profile editor(s) are on their way. That is: it's in
> Bugzilla and awaiting somebody to have the time to deal with it.

I have the experience... and possibly the time, to make a start at one.  The
only catch would be that my language of current use is  (whispers) Java.
For Uni reasons, I wish to stay within those circles for developing apps.
I have a major project on the way for my final year.  An ALFS profile
editor, if network aware, conurrent and distributed, would qualify, but no
doubt baffle my tutor.... LOL

I have thought about attempting it before.  But... time is all of our enemy.

Anyway, if I find the time or notion I will try to do at least something.
Even the GUI designs whether they work or fail would help the next along.
Java can be ported (slowly) manually to KDE or QT I'm sure, as for non-OO
like GTK you guys are on your own.

> In the mean time, there is a 'profiles' in CVS which are my own profiles
> put there for convenience. To get around the annoyance of writing a very
> long winded profile for a simple configure, make, make install I use a
> template system. Adding a new package is as easy as this:

I'll take a look.  My system is about built with KDE, Gnome and my standard
base using the current DB.  Just ETerm and I can move in to the new sys.

Maybe for the next one.

> ./newpkg.sh template packagename packageversion

Sounds good.