Mucking around with MySQL ALFS... ish.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 27 08:21:21 PST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 08:56, Paul Campbell wrote:
> The profile for a simple ./configure && make && make install is quite
> frankly annoyingly verbose to create and maintain.

I agree with that. Profile editor(s) are on their way. That is: it's in
Bugzilla and awaiting somebody to have the time to deal with it.

In the mean time, there is a 'profiles' in CVS which are my own profiles
put there for convenience. To get around the annoyance of writing a very
long winded profile for a simple configure, make, make install I use a
template system. Adding a new package is as easy as this:

./newpkg.sh template packagename packageversion

It will run md5sum on
/usr/src/sources/packagename-packageversion.tar.bz2 (here I assume every
package uses that standard naming scheme which is almost always) to get
its md5sum and sed's the template file replacing a few stub's with the
package name and version.

Template can be one of 'post-lfs' or 'perl-module'. Perl module's are
usually installed like "perl Makefile.pl; make; make test; make install'
with the test being optional of course.

Updating an existing profile isn't scripted yet. It really is just a
matter of updating the version string manually which doesn't take much
time. And of course checking the installation instructions.

My "network aware" is that profiles don't need to be copied. I just run
"cvs co profiles" from any machine to fetch them from LFS's CVS server.
Packages are downloaded from my main workstation over the network. If
I'm away from home I'll have to add an 'allow' in Apache to allow the
download of packages from a non-LAN host but it's easily done.

Anyway, if you want to have a look those profiles of course be my guest
(that is what they are there for in the first place). Maybe using
templates is an option for you as well. Some day (soon I hope) we'll
have a good test of auxiliary tools such as a profile editor or a set of
scripts to make this creating and updating of profiles easier.

--
Gerard Beekmans
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

// Linux Consultant --- OSDN / DevChannel

// If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem