Automatic download

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Thu Sep 12 15:11:06 PDT 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:58:41 +0000 (UTC)
jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk (Jamie Bennett) wrote:

> [...]

For instance, we might use nALFS to interact with several back-ends

> > One thing I would like to happen in the ALFS realm is some
> > convergence of the DTDs,
> > with the definition of an "official" DTD. I used nALFS (that
> > seems to me a very fine tool)
> > to generate a LFS configuration and i'm currently working on
> > a BLFS profile,
> > but i would prefer that the other tools (Mark Ellis's perl
> > implementation and halfling)
> > be fully interoperable. So, if the people on the list are not
> > too tired of these discussions,
> > i think it's maybe time to start them again ;-).
>
> This is most definitely needed. There is no point writing profiles
> for one alfs implementation and then having to change/tweak them
> to work with another. If there is enough interest we should
> decide on the official syntax pretty soon as LFS and BLFS
> become more recognised. Maybe propose a draft syntax that we can
> all comment on? Neven? Vassilli? Mark?
>
> > Vassili Dzuba

Well, i have one to propose...

My DTD is based on reverse-engineering the "new" syntax of nALFS,
plus a few added elements corresponding to the patches.

AFAIK, Mark's one is a merge of the "old" (with elements like
<prebuild> and <postbuild>) and the "new" syntax, but is not
a superset of nALFS one.

nALFS is relatively "dtd-agnostic", as it is able to work with different DTDs,
according to the value of the "version" attribute of element alfs. Current nALFS
supports both the old and new syntax.

As i wasn't part of the previous discussions on the syntax, i just assumed that the new one
was better and didn't bother with the old one. As the corpus of existing profiles
seems rather limited, i think it is a quite reasonable approach.

Let's note also that it is not enough to define the syntax, but we need also to
define the semantics. For instance, I lost some time a fews days ago before noticing
that the <sear_replace> element in nALFS doesn't support wilcards.

So, for the time being, i can propose as a basis for the discussion :
- a DTD ( http://vassilidzuba.nerim.net/downloads/nalfs.dtd )
- a documentation of this DTD in docbook ( http://vassilidzuba.nerim.net/downloads/syntax.xml )
  or html ( http://vassilidzuba.nerim.net/html/index.html ) format.

Any comment on these documents is welcome...