Managing required packages in nALFS

Jamie Bennett jamie_bennett at pcpmicro.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 00:58:17 PDT 2002

[SNIP]

> More details and the patch are available at
> http://vassilidzuba.nerim.net
> as well as an updated version of the documentation of the DTD.
>
>Any comment ?
>
>Vassili Dzuba

Hi, Vassili,

  I like what you are doing with nALFS. I've started using your
patches (especially the reference patch) in my work already
and as far as I can see its a useful addition.

  As for this patch, I took a quick look at it last night
and its a good idea. Producing stamp files on successful
builds is a different way of doing what I was trying to
do (I was looking at the package's log for a success entry).

  I suppose the natural progression is that when a package
fails because it doesn't have the necessary dependency, nALFS
will search a pre-defined profile directory and if the profile
is there it will either look for the package in the package dir
or download it using your reference tag.

  I don't know how easy/hard it would be to dynamically load in
another profile, stop executing the one your at, execute the
new one and then resume where your were before. I would think
that this would be a more involved patch but well worth it.

  On a side note I had the following problems with your LFS-CVS
profile.

	o	I had to change chapter5/unprivileged_user from

		<ownership user="&lfs-user;">
			<option>recursive</option>
			<name>&LFS;/static</name>
		</ownership>

		<ownership user="&lfs-user;">
			<option>recursive</option>
			<name>&LFS</name>
		</ownership>

		as I was getting access denied messages for lfs-user.
		I presume this is because lfs-user doesn't have
		permission to write to &BUILD_DIR (/usr/src)?

	o	glibc bombed out in chapter 6 with the following
		message from configure: -

		-: checking for mig
		-: configure warning:
		-: *** These auxiliary programs are missing or too old:
msgfmt
		-: *** some features will be disabled.
		-: *** Check the INSTALL file for required version.
		-: checking whether ranlib is necessary ... no
		-: checking LD_LILBRARY_PATH variable ... contains current
directory
		-: configure: error:
            -: *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH shouldn't contain the current directory
when
            -: *** building glibc. Please change the environment variable
            -: *** and run configure again.

            I haven't a clue what this variable should contain so I didn't
            know what to do. Sorry.

  Thanks

- Jamie Bennett     - 18 St Peters Terrace - jamie at linuxuk.org -
- Software Engineer - Lower Bristol Road   -                   -
- PCP Microproducts - Bath, England        -                   -
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org